MILITARY TIMES MEDIA GROUP
TURF WARS CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Eligibility. The Military Times Media Group “Turf Wars” Contest (the “Contest”) is open to U.S. military active and retired service members 18 years or older at the time of entry, except employees and contractors of UPICKEM, Inc. and Second Street Media Solutions (“Sponsor” and “Administrator”) Gannett Government Media Corp. (“promotional sponsor”) Gannett Co., Inc., and each of their respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, and advertising or promotional agencies and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with, such employees or contractors are not eligible to enter or to win. This Contest is part of the National UPICKEM Contest which is conducted by Sponsor throughout the U.S.
2. Entry. The Contest will begin on August 20, 2012 at 8:15 p.m. EST and end on February 3, 2012 after the Pro Football Championship game (“Contest Period”). The Contest entry will begin on August 20, 2012 at 8:15 p.m. EST and end at 6:10 p.m. EST on February 3, 2012 (the "Contest Entry Period"). Enter by visiting the registration page at http://militarytimes.com/turfwars or the Military Times Facebook page, completing all of the required information and following all instructions carefully to make your selections for the football games for each week during the Contest Period. Your computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology, which may be used for the purpose of entry tracking. Ad blocking software on your computer needs to be disabled so that it does not interfere with processing your entry. Only one (1) entry per person per email address. Additional registrations received from any one contestant or email address will be void. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address or Facebook ID. The use of script, macro or any other device to automate the registration process or any other means which subvert the registration process is prohibited and all such registrations will be void. Any contestant who fails to provide all required information will be disqualified. The authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry will be considered the entrant. An “authorized account holder” shall mean the natural person assigned to such e-mail account by the Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with such e-mail account. A potential winner may be requested to provide proof that he or she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with a winning entry. By entering you agree to receive e-mails from Gannett Government Media Corp or Sponsor or those directed by either of them. You can opt-out of the receipt of such e-mails by following the directions in an email received from Gannett Government Media Corp or from Sponsor.
3. How to Play: After registering, select the team that you believe will be the winner of each pro football regular season and playoff game for the 2012 professional football season, and predict the score for the winning and losing team for the tie-breaker game. You may enter your picks and score predictions no later than fifteen (15) minutes before the official start of each game. If you fail to select a winner for any game, your pick will be automatically selected as the team that was selected by the majority of contestants. However, you are not eligible to win a weekly prize if you fail to select a winner for more than one game in a given week, and you are not eligible to win the grand prize unless you complete your picks for each game for at least 11 weeks. The point value for selecting the winner of each game is as follows:
Regular Season Games – 1 point
Wild Card and Divisional Playoff Game – 4 points
Conference Finals – 8 points
Championship Game – 16 points
If a game is canceled, postponed or forfeited for any reason, or if a game ends in a tie, no points will be awarded for that game.
"Pro Football Regular Season Survivor Game Bonus Game”: To play the Bonus Game Select the one team you are sure will win each week. If you pick correctly you advance to the next week. However, you can only pick each team to win one time. If a game results in a tie, it counts as a win and the contestant advances. If you guess wrong, you are still eligible to continue to participate in the Turf Wars (as stated above). The contestant who advances through the entire regular season will win the Bonus Game prize. If more than one player contestant advances through the entire regular season, the winner will be determined based on the total scores for each contestant through the end of the regular season, and if there is still a tie, then the last week tiebreaker will be used.
Contestants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and that the decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest. The Contest ends following the end of the Pro Football Championship Game.
4. Winner Selection. The contestant with the most points for each week of the pro football regular season will be deemed a National Weekly Prize winner. The contestant with the highest total "net score" at the end of the season will be deemed the National Overall Prize winner. A contestant’s total "net score" will be determined by subtracting the contestant’s four (4) lowest weekly scores from his/her total score for all 21 weeks of the season and playoffs.
In the event of a tie for a weekly prize, the tie breaker will be set forth as follows from among all tied contestants: (a) the score from the winning team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained by the winning team, and the difference multiplied by itself, (b) the Score from the losing team will be subtracted from the actual score obtained by the losing team, and the difference is multiplied by itself, (c) the result in (a) is added to the result in (b) to obtain the "Score Approximation." The contestant with the lowest "Score Approximation" will be deemed the winner. If a tie remains, the tie breaker will be based on the lowest "Score Approximation" in the previous week, continuing thereafter to each previous week in order, as needed, to break the tie. In the event of a tie for the grand prize, the contestant with the lowest total "Score Approximation" for week 21, the championship game, will be declared the winner, then working back through the Score Approximations for each of the preceding weeks.
5. Prizes and Odds:
National UPICKEM Prizes:
• One (1) National Overall Prize, a trip for two (2) to Hawaii (ARV: $5,000) - Includes airfare from United States and 7 nights lodging in Maui. Trip must be taken sometime in 2013. Food, gratuity, transportation, and incidentals not included.
• One (1) National Weekly Prize, a NFL Fathead Wall Graphic of winner’s choice (ARV: $99.99). Total number of National Weekly Prizes is twenty-one (21).
• One (1) Survivor Game winner will receive a $500 Amazon Gift Certificate.
Each contestant can only win one of the National UPICKEM Weekly prizes. The National Overall Prize will not be awarded unless a contestant selects game winners for a minimum of 11 weeks. Determination of National UPICKEM prize winners, verification of eligibility, and compliance with these rules will be conducted by SCA Promotions, Inc., whose decision will be final. Odds of winning any of the National UPICKEM prizes depends upon the number of eligible entries received with the correct selections of the winners of the Tournament.
6. Winner Notification and Acceptance. All winners will be notified by UPICKEM by email no later than February 5, 2012. All posted results are unofficial until winners are verified. Return of email notification or if a winner does not respond within seven (7) days of the date of email notification, the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the next highest scoring contestant. To claim a UPICKEM prize, the winners must contact UPICKEM within the time period specified in the email notification. Winners may waive their rights to receive prizes. Prizes are non-assignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed by winners. Prizes and individual components of prizes are subject to availability UPICKEM reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prize. Winners may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility/liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned to UPICKEM prior to receiving the prize. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner’s disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to a substitute winner. Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes contestant's consent to the publication of his/her name and image in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation.
7. Participation. By participating, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions UPICKEM applicable to the prizes. Contestants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules, the UPICKEM rules for the National UPICKEM prizes and that the decisions of UPICKEM are final and binding on all matters pertaining to the Contest. The UPICKEM and promotional sponsor have not made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are provided only by the manufacturer, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. Each winner is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and may be required to complete an IRS form W-9. UPICKEM reserves the right to withhold prizes until completed form W-9 is received.
UPICKEM reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of the Contest as solely determined by UPICKEM. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of UPICKEM or promotional sponsor, which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, UPICKEM reserves the right in its sole discretion, respectively, to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated termination date, UPICKEM reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted or the owner of entries received shall be determined by UPICKEM in its sole, reasonable discretion. UPICKEM and promotional sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive entries or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or UPICKEM or promotional sponsor.
8. Construction. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of any contestant shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Missouri. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. Sponsor. The Military Times Media Group Turf Wars Contest is sponsored by UPICKEM, Inc. whose decisions regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. UPICKEM and promotional sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. For a list of winners of the National UPICKEM prizes, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: UPICKEM, c/o Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101, Attn: Contest Winners List. Requests to UPICKEM must be received by March 30, 2013. If you have any questions, contact UPICKEM as the above address.
The National UPICKEM contest and National UPICKEM prizes are operated by Second Street Media, Inc., 317 N 11th Street, Suite 200, St. Louis, MO, 63101. © 2012 Second Street Media, Inc. All decisions by Second Street Media regarding the National UPICKEM contest and selection of the National UPICKEM winners shall be final and binding in all respects. UPICKEM is a trademark of Second Street Media, Inc. The content, information, data, designs and code associated with the Contest website are protected by intellectual property and other laws. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
THIS CONTEST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED FOR GAMBLING PURPOSES. IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT A CONTESTANT IS USING THE CONTEST FOR GAMBLING PURPOSES, HE/SHE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.